Building Green has come a long way since 2006.
- We set up the UK’s first training course in green roofing, which ran successfully for many years in partnership with the Brighton Permaculture Trust, and continues in its new guise under the management of Human Nature and Green Roof Revival.
- We published a set of case studies to promote our city’s innovative green roofs and walls, and a website that receives over 1000 visitors a month from around the world.
- We have given a large number of talks to promote green roofs and walls in our city, and run tours of green buildings and Madeira Drive green wall.
- We published a free local history of Madeira Drive – a unique ‘miracle mile’ of Victorian invention.
- With partners, we published a major study of the green roof retrofit potential in Brighton.
- We took on the management of Madeira Drive green wall, working with Green Gym volunteers and providing approximately 200 hours of voluntary labour to improve the local environment.
- We successfully argued for Madeira Drive Green Wall’s designation as the UK’s first such local wildlife site, and promoted our work internationally.
- We are an active partner in the Council’s endeavours to restore and regenerate the East Brighton seafront.
Originally, we were constituted formally as a voluntary association. This gave us credibility, enabled us to apply successfully for funds, and establish our position in the network of community groups in the city. The formal constitution has lapsed, and I would like to invite you to discuss the value of re-awakening it. There is still work to do – green infrastructure is climbing up the political agenda, our climate threats are more apparent than ever, and there is compelling science demonstrating the link between local green space, health and quality of life.
We need help to:
– refresh the purpose of Building Green with new input
– involve more people in the leadership and delivery of our work
– enable the ability to access funds including the Council’s Community Development Fund
This is an opportunity to get involved in shaping the future of Building Green. Together we can achieve even more.